Adapted from the BBC Good Food Website
Easily adapted for a dairy free/vegan diet
Serves 4 (easily doubled)
140g plain flour with a pinch of salt added, plus extra flour for dusting
70g cold butter (substitute for dairy free margarine if required)
(Alternatively, you can buy readymade shortcrust pastry)
Water to mix
25g butter (or dairy free alternative)
60g golden syrup
10g soft light brown sugar
2 tblsp Matthew’s Preserves Jam – either Blackcurrant or Raspberry (or half and half if you can’t decide!)
- Make the pastry by rubbing the flour into the margarine with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough water to combine to make a dough. Chill for 20 minutes
- Roll out the pastry to fit a 20cm tart tin, line the pastry with baking paper on top and fill with baking beans or raw rice and blind bake for 15 minutes at 180o Remove the baking beans and baking paper and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- In a pan, combine the butter, syrup and sugar and melt over a low heat. Stir in the cornflakes
- Spread the jam over the base of the pastry case and tip in the cornflake mix. Press down gently.
- Bake the tart in the oven for 5 minutes until the cornflakes are golden and toasted.
Allow to cool and serve warm on its own or with your choice of custard or ice cream.